Friday, November 4, 2011

Awareness

I am so happy it's Friday!!!  We are headed to Texarkana this evening to see my mom! 
 Check out this cool dude.  =)  I think he looks so much like Andy. 

One thing I have learned dealing with MD for almost a year now is that awareness of this disease is very important.  We NEED to find a cure!!!  And in order to do that the researchers need money.  People donate to all kinds of causes.  And if I can bring awareness to this disease maybe when people choose to donate they will donate to MDA so we can save these kids lives or at least find a medicine that will help prolong their lives. 
Muscular Dystrophy Awareness is a lime green ribbon

Cheryl made me this beautiful bracelet.  I told her I wanted something I could wear every day.  People ask about it and it's a way to raise awareness.  I really didn't know anything about MD before Austin's diagnosis.  So they are many people out there that don't know much about it or know someone that it affects.  It makes it more real when you know someone with the disease.

My goal going forward is to raise awareness in a big way.  I hope to start some fundraisers so that I can donate large sums of money to MDA.  I know how amazing MDA really is and I know we NEED to find a cure for Austin.  Since we are all spread out there are some things to keep in mind.  When you see fireman in your local community trying to "fill the boot" for MDA.  Throw some change in there.  When you are out shopping and someone asks if you want to donate $1 to MDA by buying a shamrock.  Do it.  Every little bit counts.  MDA not only gives money to research but they also give back to these kids.  Austin was able to go to summer camp this past year for FREE because of donations made to MDA.  That summer camp was for kids with muscular dystrophy and they were able to do all the normal camp activities but modified for them. They give free flu shots to these kids since this disease affects their respiratory function.  And there is so much more that they do.    

And the most important thing is prayer.  Pray for Austin and pray for a cure. 

1 comment:

JetsMama said...

If you ever think of selling these for a fundraiser, I would love to buy one.